|Pollia Condensata nature.com|
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Sunday, September 9, 2012
HANDS ON HERITAGE presents
Sightseeing in Egypt with Ibn al Haytham
|Original Hands On Heritage Light Graffiti|
Come and explore the exciting Science of Light as we travel through Medieval Egypt with optics pioneer Ibn al Haytham.
In this hands-on workshop, students will experience
- The Medieval World through the eyes of Ibn al Haytham
- Timelining achievements in the ‘Dark Ages'
- How light travels using a pinhole camera
- The Story of the 'Mad Scientist'
- 'Persistence of vision' by making moving images
- Creating light graffiti (where dark facilities available)
- Using Ibn al Haytham's scientific method to create an object that helps light up shanty towns across South east Asia.
Max. duration: 2 hrs Contact HandsOnHeritage@Gmail.com
Check out this video on the origins of the camera
Hands On Heritage brings you
'Flying over Spain with Abbas Ibn Firnas'
|image courtesy Saudi Aramco World/SAWDIA|
Explore the wonders of Flight, while travelling back in time to
9th Century Medieval Spain.
- Meet up with early aviation pioneer Abbas Firnas and learn about his hometown of Cordoba.
- Design a rudimentary glider and investigate the effects of different wingspan patterns.
- Watch Bernoulli’s Principle in action
- Create aerofoil shapes to represent the wing shapes that help produce Lift.
- Create paper planes with rudders and elevators to understand the significance of the tail that Abbas Firnas needed for his glider to succeed.
- Appreciate the contributions of European medieval scientists to our present-day lives.
Contact HandsOnHeritage@Gmail.com for further details